Session Guide - Running Your Own Sessions
The Session Guide is the person who announces and runs the brainstorming session. Their goal is to guide people through the adventure creation process, keep the conversation on track, and do their best to make sure that we will be able to create a complete story within a reasonable amount of time (1-3 hours).
Anyone who has participated in a few sessions and gained some experience with the process is welcome to take initiative, announce, and run their own sessions.
Before The Session Begins
Make a session announcement
#session-announcements and make a post like this:
Hey, @everyone! Who’s free to do some brainstorming at [time and date]?
We will try to make a short, lighthearted, low-combat, system-agnostic adventure set in a fantasy world.
We will aim for a 2-3 hour session, give or take. I’m looking for 3-4 people.
If you can join us - leave a message in this chat.
If you have some time before the section - take a look at our brainstorming guidelines (http://rpgadventures.io/brainstorming-guidelines).
It’s best to limit the group size to 3-4 people. That way everyone has enough time to speak and contribute, things stay more manageable, and the process moves forward faster.
Create a copy of the brainstorming template
Open the template and click
File > Make a Copy.
Change the folder from “Resources and Templates” to “Brainstorming Sessions Archive”. Don’t forget to click
Share and change “Anyone with the link” to “Editor”.
Before the session, post a reminder
10 minutes before the session begins, make a post in
[@-mention people who signed up]
We begin in 10 minutes.
This is the google doc we’ll be filling in with ideas, open it before we begin:
[link to the copy of the brainstorming template]
In the google doc go to Tools > Preferences, and uncheck “Automatically Detect Lists”, otherwise google docs autoformatting will be really annoying.
If you haven’t read the guidelines yet - please check them out:
I also recommend to open a note-taking app, can be convenient. And you can open the writing prompts generator (https://rpgadventures.io/prompts), if you feel like it’ll be useful to you.
Start Of The Session
- Quick introductions, everyone says a bit about themselves.
- Make sure everyone has the google doc open.
- Ask if anyone has any questions about the process before we begin.
During The Session
- Guide people through the brainstorming template step by step.
- Try to keep the conversation on track and help people to finish the story on time.
- Encourage people to follow the brainstorming guidelines.
End Of The Session
- Dont forget to add your name and discord handle to the list of the authors.
- If we like what we’ve made, we can clean up the draft of our adventure and share it with others. I can create the google doc and we’ll talk in
#work-in-progressto discuss the questions that come up during the writing process.
- If you know people who would enjoy brainstorming, invite them to our server.
- After participating in a few sessions and getting the hang of the process, you’re encouraged to announce and run your own sessions.
After The Session
- Make a copy of the adventure template, summarize all the brainstormed ideas in it. Share it in
#work-in-progress, @-mention people who participated in brainstorming, ask for their feedback and ideas.
- As you write the draft, make the list of open questions you’re not sure how to answer, ask them in
#work-in-progress, so that other people can help you out.
- After the draft is done, playtest the adventure.
- If everyone is cool with it, it would be nice to publish the adventure on our website and share it on reddit to grow the community.